.jpg)
So, last Monday, (March 10th, 2008) was Middle School Orientation. Mike and I sat, crammed in the bleachers and heard all about the new life our 10 year old, Evan will be experiencing next year. I felt totally nauseated, and wanted to run screaming into the night. I can't believe my baby will be in middle school this coming year. Several of the speakers said things along the lines of, "If you are 'first time' middle school parents, you will survive! It isn't that traumatic...there are many that have lived through it...your child is ready...blah, blah, blah..." I suppressed the urge to stand up on those overcrowded bleachers and shriek like a harpy, "Don't you pooh-pooh me you vice principal lady, you! This is MY baby we are talking about! I remember the trauma of middle school..."
But, I digress...
On Tuesday, (March 11, 2008) Mike called to say that he would be home late so, he needed to just meet us at church. Mike had church meetings and Evan had Cub Scouts, so we headed out. Once we arrived at church, I noticed that I forgot my wallet and didn't grab the cell phone...I was busy concentrating on making sure that we had all of Adam's unfinished homework, stuff to occupy Brian and a change of clothes for Mike. When Cub Scouts was over I enjoyed the excitement of trying to round my brood up as they protested, "We want to go home with Daddy!!" I had to lovingly (and I use the term "lovingly", loosely) remind them that it was a school night and I didn't have any idea what time Daddy would be done with his meetings. So, after all manner of protesting, I finallyshoved lovingly coaxed the boys into the van and headed home. We were less than an half of a mile away from our driveway when I noticed out of the corner of my eye a car pulling out of a parking lot and headed straight for us. I trie
d to swerve but the other car clipped the rear quarter panel and back bumper on the driver's side of our van. I pulled over and so did the other driver and I was met with a sobbing 17 year old girl that kept repeating with rising panic in her voice, "I didn't see you, I didn't see you!" I tried to calm her by speaking softly and assuring her that no one in my vehicle was even scratched, and it looked like minimal damage to both vehicles. I knew that we needed to call 911 to have the police arrive and fill out and accident report but, she was already so upset that I didn't mention 911 and just gently asked her if she had a cell phone, because as mentioned before, I had forgotten mine. With trembling fingers she handed me this little white rectangle that I had no idea how to use...I tried to flip it open but I couldn't figure out how...I studied the front of it, but it only had a few buttons that I didn't know how to use so I asked her if she wanted to call her parents and made a mental note to pay close attention to how she operated the little white rectangle. I was then distracted by the boys yelling from their seats, "MOM! Can we get out?!" I rushed back to the van and told the boys they had to stay in the van, but they could unbuckle if they wanted to. I opened up the back (is it called a hatch? It really isn't a trunk, is it?) door to the van so the boys could see out but not get into the street. This proved to be an unwise decision on my part, because the boys were excitedly calling out to me with things like, "When she hit us I was like, WHOOOOAAAAA!!!" as they rocked back and forth reenacting the impact of the crash on their little bodies. There were also exclamations like, "Look at how it smashed the front of her car!" I shot them warning glances but then, Adam asked in a disgruntled tone why the airbags didn't deploy, (he didn't actually say, "deploy" I think he said, "pop-out"). I suppressed the urge to yell at the boys, "SILENCE! Can you not see that you are fahhhh-reaking this poor girl out?" I decided to go back to the van and tell them calmly that she was VERY upset and could they please be very quiet for me. I went back and told my new 17 year old, still sobbing friend, "See, everything is okay...they aren't hurt at all...they even wished the accident was worse so they could get to see the airbags." She smiled weakly as she continued to weep. About that time, Mike, who had gotten to leave the church a little bit earlier than I thought he was going to get to, saw us and pulled over. He made sure everyone was okay, and I
whispered to him that we still needed to call 911. When I told my new friend that we needed to call 911, she handed me her white rectangle again, and cried quietly, "Can someone else do it?" I then handed Mike the white rectangle and he looked at it strangely so, I turned to her and asked sheepishly, "How do you dial?" She then slid the white rectangle open with her thumb. I have seen slide phones before, but never like this one. Mike called 911 and once they connected him with the local sheriff's office he asked permission for everyone involved to be able to pull into the high school parking lot that we were right beside. The officer said that was okay, so we pulled in and the boys jumped out and were bouncing around with enormous amounts of energy. Adam and Evan told the mother (who had just arrived) of the 17 year old girl, all about the crash and were laughing about the fact that I had screamed right before impact, "WATCH OUT!!!!!!" at the approaching car. I have no recollection of screaming at the other car to, "watch out" but, the boys were openly making fun of the fact that it was kind of ridiculous of me to think that the other driver could hear me, and do my bidding. Luckily, there was a tree in the landscaping on the side of the parking lot so, I told the boys to go climb it. Moments later, they were in the branches enjoying themselves and thankfully, out of the way. (You know how ages ago, people used to say, when they basically were trying to say, "Get Lost" or, "Scram", things like, "Go, jump in a lake!" or, "Go, fly a kite! "...I kind of felt that was what I was saying to my kids but, my words would have been, "Go, climb a tree!" I meant it literally, though).
But, I digress...
On Tuesday, (March 11, 2008) Mike called to say that he would be home late so, he needed to just meet us at church. Mike had church meetings and Evan had Cub Scouts, so we headed out. Once we arrived at church, I noticed that I forgot my wallet and didn't grab the cell phone...I was busy concentrating on making sure that we had all of Adam's unfinished homework, stuff to occupy Brian and a change of clothes for Mike. When Cub Scouts was over I enjoyed the excitement of trying to round my brood up as they protested, "We want to go home with Daddy!!" I had to lovingly (and I use the term "lovingly", loosely) remind them that it was a school night and I didn't have any idea what time Daddy would be done with his meetings. So, after all manner of protesting, I finally
d to swerve but the other car clipped the rear quarter panel and back bumper on the driver's side of our van. I pulled over and so did the other driver and I was met with a sobbing 17 year old girl that kept repeating with rising panic in her voice, "I didn't see you, I didn't see you!" I tried to calm her by speaking softly and assuring her that no one in my vehicle was even scratched, and it looked like minimal damage to both vehicles. I knew that we needed to call 911 to have the police arrive and fill out and accident report but, she was already so upset that I didn't mention 911 and just gently asked her if she had a cell phone, because as mentioned before, I had forgotten mine. With trembling fingers she handed me this little white rectangle that I had no idea how to use...I tried to flip it open but I couldn't figure out how...I studied the front of it, but it only had a few buttons that I didn't know how to use so I asked her if she wanted to call her parents and made a mental note to pay close attention to how she operated the little white rectangle. I was then distracted by the boys yelling from their seats, "MOM! Can we get out?!" I rushed back to the van and told the boys they had to stay in the van, but they could unbuckle if they wanted to. I opened up the back (is it called a hatch? It really isn't a trunk, is it?) door to the van so the boys could see out but not get into the street. This proved to be an unwise decision on my part, because the boys were excitedly calling out to me with things like, "When she hit us I was like, WHOOOOAAAAA!!!" as they rocked back and forth reenacting the impact of the crash on their little bodies. There were also exclamations like, "Look at how it smashed the front of her car!" I shot them warning glances but then, Adam asked in a disgruntled tone why the airbags didn't deploy, (he didn't actually say, "deploy" I think he said, "pop-out"). I suppressed the urge to yell at the boys, "SILENCE! Can you not see that you are fahhhh-reaking this poor girl out?" I decided to go back to the van and tell them calmly that she was VERY upset and could they please be very quiet for me. I went back and told my new 17 year old, still sobbing friend, "See, everything is okay...they aren't hurt at all...they even wished the accident was worse so they could get to see the airbags." She smiled weakly as she continued to weep. About that time, Mike, who had gotten to leave the church a little bit earlier than I thought he was going to get to, saw us and pulled over. He made sure everyone was okay, and I
whispered to him that we still needed to call 911. When I told my new friend that we needed to call 911, she handed me her white rectangle again, and cried quietly, "Can someone else do it?" I then handed Mike the white rectangle and he looked at it strangely so, I turned to her and asked sheepishly, "How do you dial?" She then slid the white rectangle open with her thumb. I have seen slide phones before, but never like this one. Mike called 911 and once they connected him with the local sheriff's office he asked permission for everyone involved to be able to pull into the high school parking lot that we were right beside. The officer said that was okay, so we pulled in and the boys jumped out and were bouncing around with enormous amounts of energy. Adam and Evan told the mother (who had just arrived) of the 17 year old girl, all about the crash and were laughing about the fact that I had screamed right before impact, "WATCH OUT!!!!!!" at the approaching car. I have no recollection of screaming at the other car to, "watch out" but, the boys were openly making fun of the fact that it was kind of ridiculous of me to think that the other driver could hear me, and do my bidding. Luckily, there was a tree in the landscaping on the side of the parking lot so, I told the boys to go climb it. Moments later, they were in the branches enjoying themselves and thankfully, out of the way. (You know how ages ago, people used to say, when they basically were trying to say, "Get Lost" or, "Scram", things like, "Go, jump in a lake!" or, "Go, fly a kite! "...I kind of felt that was what I was saying to my kids but, my words would have been, "Go, climb a tree!" I meant it literally, though).Well, as mentioned before I didn't have my wallet (*whoopsie-daisy*) but, the responding officer let Mike run home and get it for me. We were so close to our home, Mike could have practically walked home to get it. Once he returned, it didn't take long to wrap up all of the details, flush the boys out of the tree, and head home to put everyone to bed.
Later that night I burst into tears. When Mike asked what was wrong I explained that it had just hit me that another vehicle was only inches away from Evan when she hit us...that only the metal of our car stood between a moving vehicle and my child. I don't know why I was so emotionally overcome with this realization two and a half hours later. No one was hurt, Evan was asleep in his bed...I still just sort of broke down for a moment there. Mike, as always, was totally understanding and said calming things to me. You know how you always hear that car accidents typically happen within a 5 mile radius of your house. Well, last year Mike was driving some of the young men from church back home after a service project and another car, "T-boned" him and totaled our Jeep. The accident wasn't Mike's fault but the insurance only covered for us to get a car that was a lot less in value. He was about 2.5 miles away from home when that accident occurred. I am now a total believer that accidents typically happen within a 5 mile radius of your home. Sheesh. Most of all, I am grateful that no one was hurt in both accidents.

(Brian 4 years and 10 months old, Adam 7 years and 8 months old, Evan 10 years and 8 months old)
.jpg)
53 comments:
car accidents are odd like that where they can affect you a little while later. I have had that happened where later that night I just relized how bad it could have been and it just chills me to the core
On no! That's very scary. I'm glad it was minor and there were no injuries.
(But I kinda have to laugh, because MY phone is a little white rectangle with a few buttons on the front, and it slides up. It's probably the same one! When I got it, it took me (no lie) about 45 minutes to figure out how to OPEN IT.)
I'm glad you guys are all okay!
Holy crap! (To both stories!)
Junior High is going to be okay. It was way worse for us girls than it is for the boys. Evan has a great personality and will be able to make good friends and adjust well. That's my prediction -- I take cash or credit, no checks.
No, really, Eric has suprised me at how well he has adjusted to J.H. All I remember of my experience was three years of pure, unadulterated dread. It'll be alright.
I'm so glad that the accident was so minor. And I was once that 17 year old girl. Thanks for being so nice and takeing good care of her. It's a scary world. Glad all is well. Be careful. Oh, and maybe if there is a next time, perhaps you should honk your horn instead of yelling at the other car to watch out. Horns can be useful in a situation like that. Just a thought...
love you
Nic,
I love you!!!!
I do remember hitting the horn but, alas, it was too late...I belly laughed at your suggestion, though. Way to look out for me! ;)
Yikes! You deserve a bubble bath...
Glad everybody is ok!
Ahh, the phones are different after all. Mine's not a Helio, it's an LG White Chocolate :)
Drama! Nothing worse than that sound of metal crunching metal in car accidents. Glad you are all ok.
Hilarious phone dialing drama too. I was meeting a friend recently for lunch and she told me to text her my order and she'd order for us before I arrived. I had to confess I don't know how to text! What is it with kids these days and technology?
I'm with Nic. I was shocked and thrilled Jr. High turned out to be much less traumatic for the boy. Well, emotionally. None of that crazy friend drama that makes girls lives heck. Keeping the boy organized and focused wasn't easy, but those issues are way better than girly drama.
Wow! So glad that no one was hurt!
Is your middle school 6,7, & 8?
BTW - just a little safety note, I'd remove the school address - you don't want some psycho showing up at your son's school :)
Lauren*** i am so sorry to hear about the accident, but so happy that no one was hurt. how in the world did mike get out of meetings so early? as far as the middle school thing goes, yeah i dont have any advice there. and how the heck am i going to to it? i have 2 of those "crazy girl drama" ones. im not going to make it!!
again, i am so happy that everyone was okay. let me know if there is anything i can do for you.
Wow!What a traumatic day for you!
I will freak out when I have to do middle school orientation. Yikes. I like the image of you getting up and pointing a finger at the vice principal lady.
How nice of you to have such a gentle response to that teenager who hit you. How sad for her. So glad that none of you were hurt. I would totally do the hours later crying thing. You gotta get it out and it usually takes some time to digest it all.
I agree with Gabi. YOu need a Calgon take me away kind of bath tonight.
You poor thing,accidents are traumatizing even if you don't get hurt! Leave it to boys to think it was Cool!
I am too releasing my first born into the wild to fend for himself...he starts middle school this year as well!
So glad you were all okay! And you really kept your cool..
I had a slide phone like that one--but it was green. I taunted my brother with it because he couldn't open it!! :)
I add another vote for the bubble bath! Better yet, one with jets. You deserve it all, baby.
You did handle it all very well--good for you! =)
I've been in a car accident before and I cried for a couple of hours...so don't feel too badly. :0) So sorry about your accident though! I know how you feel!
Hopefully your son will enjoy middle school. I hated it, but I think most kids do. That's when everything about us becomes awkward. Sigh. Good times.
Whoa what a day you had!! That is crazy! Most accidents also involve teenagers, I don't remember the percentage, but its high over 50%. I have a slide phone that is a touch screen, so I am sure if you had never seen that one before anyone would have a hard time using it.
I remember middle school, and it was pretty traumatic, but we all survived and Evan will too!
Yikes--we are getting old. And to think I was just playing cards in your old poo-laski house with you driving the barney (until that accident) and teaching Evan out of the GAK. My how time flies!
You were in "mama bear" mode. Protecting your little ones and the 17 year old (very sweet of you). I probably would have read her the riot act. Glad you are all safe. I'm sure someone at church prayed that everyone "would get home safely".
Yikes. As a parent we can't afford to break down around the kids or it would freak them out. Glad everyone was okay.
Wow, I'm glad no one was hurt! (I love the way you tell stories, they just come to life.) I know what you mean about freaking out later about how close it was or what could have happened. That happends to me a lot--it's probably part of the protective motherhood thing.
Middle School--wow!
WOW so much to respond to...
First of - Middle School, yes he will survive... and no, it isnt going to be as easy as the vice principal wants you to believe.
The good news is that he is a boy so it will be infinitley better than it was for you or me. I am often suprised at how much confidence my son has at 13. I was a mess at that age.
Eventually you will forget all about the trauma of sending him off to middle school until it is time for High School orientation *sigh*
On the issue of accidents, yes most of them happen within a few miles of home. What's more a young driver has more than a 50% chance of an at fault accident in their first 3 years of driving... Chances are that your new 17 year old friend was actually speaking (or worse TXTNG) someone at the time. It was very generous of you to be so kind. A first accident is always traumatic, no matter how minor.
Augh! Accidents are so scary.... someone backed into me the other day and it shook me up!
You are so funny. You are going to be the cool mom who's home all the kids want to hang out at. (that was horrible grammar--sorry)
Scary. Accidents s-t-i-n-k. I'm glad you and the babies are okay!
I remember being the 16 year old hitting a minivan but no kids were in it. The lady was illegally passing me as I was making an illegal u-turn. Anyway, it was so horrible to sit in her house (days before cell phones and my car was undriveable) waiting for the busy signal at my house to stop to get my mom to come and get me. All the while I could hear her husband cursing in the driveway and her kids giving me dirty looks. So, I'm glad you were nice to that girl. I have been that girl.
You had post-traumatic syndrome for a minute there, didn't you?! Love the part about the tricksy phone, though. Glad you were all ok :)
Oh, and your middle school story sounds eerily similar to that "Goodbye Meeting" when you leave a missionary at the mtc. NOT a good meeting.
I too, had to sit throught that orientation just last year... sigh. An now he seems like he is 35!
holy cow women, your comments are in the double digets. you rock the mother-load.
love ya
yep, I gave you an award. I put your name in there. puffy ♥'s all around.
Good gracious, dearie. I am so glad you are OK! And after you read my semi-truck story, you know i have been there.
Having little ones that are involved certainly makes it that much more scary. Blessings to you and your family!
Lauren accidents are so scary even if they aren't big ones. You always think of what could've happened! I'm glad you stayed calm... I tend to freak out and do the wrong thing. You did everything right, good job.
Those things are only funny when they happen to someone else.
Or when someone as funny as you writes about them.
That was so nice of you...to be so nice to me, oh, I mean the 17 year old girl that ran into you. (Not that I had many accidents as a teenager...)
Good job, Mama Bear. I'm glad you are all okay.
Ok, Lauren. First things first-I love your name! haha. I've seen you on Denae's, but am now just reading your blog! Cute family. I'm so sorry about your accident! Thankfull it wasn't too bad. They are definitely scary, though. I will plan to keep on reading your posts! :)
You're so nice to call that 17 year old girl your friend. I'll bet she was grateful she hit YOU and not someone else. I'm guessing they gave HER the ticket, right? I haven't read your other comments so forgive me if I'm asking a question that's already been answered.
Glad you're OKAY!
Lauren,
I just wanted to pop over and let you know, anyone who thinks I am witty and funny is more than welcome to stalk me on my blog- especially another mother of boys! We gotta stick together.
Although, now that I am here, I'm not sure you will ever even see my comment, all the way down here at the bottom. I feel like the last one to join a party already in progress.
Glad everyone was okay from the crash. Man that sucks. Good luck with middle school, I am already worried about it and my oldest is only in 1st grade.
just seeing if i can leave a comment. darn blog. i cant leave on on anyones... grrrr
oh yeah... it worked!!!!
IT WORKED... it finally worked! i got the comment thing to work!!!!! and i didnt even have to get a new computer. oh darn! :)
Sorry about middle school, glad everyone was okay.
The fact that it occurred on the way home from cub scouts is one more reason why I am SO OVER scouting before my boys have even begun.
not to take away from the fender bender/school orientation... but i'm ready for a new blog from you! every day i check to see if you have anything new. since you dont, i just reread this one.. over and over and over and over!!!!
your the one that got me addicted so get to bloggin' lady!!!! :)
oh my gosh I hadn't read your post until after I did my car crash one. Seriously, are we living parallel lives or what. except my hubby's crash was actually about35 miles away and I had to explain to the boys for 40 minutes that everything was okay. Scary stuff. I'm sure glad you guys are all alright. Including the weeping girl.
p.s.
good luck with middle school!
i think i am meeting your comment section too often! have a great time at the store
i think i am meeting your comment section too often! have a great time at the store
Oh, that's nothing. You should see what paige does to her cars! Then she lies about it!
it's me again, margaret!!! have a great night! :)
I literally am sending my baby, #5 off to Middle School. They haven't destroyed one of mine yet, so I think he'll be fine, as will your boy. Just have the "we don't swear no matter what" talk with him. You wouldn't believe the language they learn early. And don't ever touch anyone, have that talk. No touching!!
I got in an accident in July, $12,000 damage...they didn't total my car!! I was afraid to drive for two months. Now I'm back on my game. Drove all the way to Idaho and back. Yep, no more fear.
(And my speedometer wasn't working, now THAT's an adventure!!)
That same things happend to me when I was in my fender bender. I was hit by a UPS truck and realized later it could have been much, much worse.
Go eat yourself some chocolate. It helps. :)
I'm glad everyone is ok..I was on the edge of my chair reading this! I was rear ended once --years ago--it was traumatic. for months I would stare in my rear view mirror when I was stopped..waiting to be hit again..and I would pull off onto the shoulder if I thought the person behind me was approaching to fast..that almost caused me to cause an accident!
um....49 comments? wow. I hope you scroll all the way down to see my little say. I am so sorry about the accident. I am glad everything is ok. Evan is going to jr high?!? scary is all I can say to that.
Hey girlfriend, time to post again! We've been missing ya.
All right, girlie. Your little hiatus has gone on TOOOO long. Where are you?
Just a lurker who stumbled on to your blog and had to laugh...I too attended a MS orientation for my oldest child this week and felt nauseated as I left. It is hard to face the impending growing up that is happening at our house. Glad to know I am not the only one! Also, I have lived in Texas for 10 months and we are on Tornado WATCH right now, but 8 small ones have touched down west of us...I am worried if I should let my 3 children sleep upstairs tonight or if we should hunker down under the stairs!! I don't want to freak them out, but on the other hand...
Post a Comment